If you receive an error message when trying to export a document or template to Word, this is usually related to the version of Word you are using. Kalix only supports Microsoft Word 2010, 2013 and 2016 on PCs and Word for Mac 2011 and 2016. Unfortunately, we do not support older versions of Word or other word processing software. Click here for additional details about Kalix system requirements.
Older versions of Microsoft Word cannot read the code that Kalix outputs for tables. Hence, if you export a document or template that contains tables from Kalix to an older version of Word, you will receive an error message. You will also be unable to open the exported Word file.
The Kalix's Export to Word functionality works by converting templates and documents to code which it exports to Word. Word then reads this code and translates it into the Word document you see. Kalix uses the standardized code for word documents, unfortunately, there was a change in the coding for tables in 2010. See Kalix's Documents & Templates support documents for further information on documents and templates.
How to fix this:
Update to a newer version of Word. Microsoft Office 265 is good option, it is very affordable, available on Macs, PCs and tablets and you get free updates (so it never goes out of date). Click here for more info.
Alternatively, if a software upgrade is not for you, we suggest the following options:
- Remove tables from templates
- Avoid exporting documents/templates to Word that contain tables
- Set up templates to hide tables for Word exports
To hide tables from Word exports, follow the instructions below:
1. Open your doc template (click on Docs on the top header followed by Doc Templates, find your template in the list and click on its name to edit)
2. Now in the template, click on the Show Advanced options tick box on the top right of the page
3. Locate the terms that contain tables, and select the tick box Term not visible externally.
4. Click save.